To what extent are climate change 'skeptics' present in the climate change spaces on the Web? The question is posed in order to gain insight into whether the Web, and the devices that rank information, privilege the skeptics in ways similar to other ?spheres? such as the news. Does Google grant the skeptics voice in its returns for a ?climate change? query? In the journalistic convention both sides of the story are represented, but in the climate change space provided by Google, the skeptics? presence is scant.
1. Derive list of climate change skeptics.
* American Enterprise Institute
* American Legislative Exchange Council
* Center for Science and Public Policy
* Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow
* Competitive Enterprise Institute
* Frontiers of Freedom
* Marshall Institute
* Heartland Institute
* Tech Central Station
* S. Fred Singer 
* Robert Balling 
* Sallie Baliunas 
* Patrick Michaels 
* Richard Lindzen 
* Steven Milloy 
* Timothy Ball 
* Paul Driessen 
* Willie Soon 
* Sherwood B. Idso
* Frederick Seitz
The question concerns the extent to which the Web stages climate change as a controversy vis a vis other media spaces, such as news. Here the Web is understood as a search-based medium, and controversy as the relative penetration of the skeptics in the climate change search results space. A comparison between the skeptics' resonance on the Web and in the news is the next step.
2. Determine how far the skeptics are from the top of the Web.
1. There is distance between the skeptics and the top of the search engine returns. Note that few skeptics appear on the Websites of the top ten results in Google. When they do appear (Patrick Michaels, Steven Milloy) their resonance is not particularly resounding.
2. One may evaluate sources according to the frequency with which each mentions the skeptics. There are skeptic-friendly sites, and less skeptic-friendly sites.
3. From the visualization one is able to see the "skeptic-friendly" sources, realclimate.org and, to a lesser extent, climatescience.gov stand out as skeptic-friendly. Sourcewatch also is prominent, albeit as a progressive watchdog group 'exposing' the skeptics.
4. Remarkably, news sites, generally speaking, do not mention the climate change skeptics by name. Whilst news watchers and listeners may have the impression that 'uncertainty' in the climate change 'debate' continues in a general sense (as opposed to, say, in more specific, scientific sub-discussions), 'uncertainty' appears to be discussed without resort to the well-known, or identified, skeptics.
The question concerns the extent to which the Web stages climate change as a controversy vis a vis other media spaces, such as news. Further research would be to draw a comparison between the skeptics' resonance on the Web and in the news. Additionally, one may wish to expand the work from impact research (non-coded mentions) to coded research, where positive and negative mentions are of interest.
|jpg||FredSinger.jpg||manage||58.3 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:50||Unknown User|
|png||FredSinger.png||manage||92.4 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:48||Main.Laura|
|jpg||FrederickSeitz.jpg||manage||56.1 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:49||Unknown User|
|png||FrederickSeitz.png||manage||90.1 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:47||Main.Laura|
|jpg||PatrickMichaels.jpg||manage||56.5 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:51||Unknown User|
|png||PatrickMichaels.png||manage||86.8 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:48||Main.Laura|
|jpg||PaulDriessen.jpg||manage||50.3 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:52||Unknown User|
|png||PaulDriessen.png||manage||84.7 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:49||Main.Laura|
|jpg||RichardLinzen.jpg||manage||47.7 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:54||Unknown User|
|png||RichardLinzen.png||manage||81.8 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:49||Main.Laura|
|jpg||RobertBalling.jpg||manage||51.5 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:55||Unknown User|
|png||RobertBalling.png||manage||86.9 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:49||Main.Laura|
|jpg||SallieBaliunas.jpg||manage||53.9 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:56||Unknown User|
|png||SallieBaliunas.png||manage||87.8 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:53||Main.Laura|
|jpg||SherwoodIdso.jpg||manage||56.0 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:58||Unknown User|
|png||SherwoodIdso.png||manage||88.4 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:51||Main.Laura|
|jpg||StevenMilloy.jpg||manage||61.6 K||01 Aug 2007 - 09:59||Unknown User|
|png||StevenMilloy.png||manage||100.7 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:50||Main.Laura|
|jpg||TimothyBall.jpg||manage||45.2 K||01 Aug 2007 - 10:00||Unknown User|
|png||TimothyBall.png||manage||82.1 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:52||Main.Laura|
|jpg||WillieSoon.jpg||manage||49.7 K||01 Aug 2007 - 10:01||Unknown User|
|png||WillieSoon.png||manage||86.0 K||06 Jun 2008 - 11:52||Main.Laura|
|csc_FredSinger_30072007.pdf||manage||820.4 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:43||Unknown User|
|csc_FrederickSeitz_30072007.pdf||manage||818.1 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:43||Unknown User|
|csc_PatrickMichaels_30072007.pdf||manage||815.8 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:45||Unknown User|
|csc_PaulDriessen_30072007.pdf||manage||819.1 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:45||Unknown User|
|csc_RichardLinzen_30072007.pdf||manage||818.6 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:46||Unknown User|
|csc_RobertBalling_30072007.pdf||manage||816.9 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:46||Unknown User|
|csc_SallieBaliunas_30072007.pdf||manage||819.8 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:47||Unknown User|
|csc_SherwoodIdso_30072007.pdf||manage||818.0 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:47||Unknown User|
|csc_StevenMilloy_30072007.pdf||manage||804.0 K||08 Dec 2007 - 17:48||Unknown User|
|csc_TimothyBall_30072007.pdf||manage||816.2 K||08 Dec 2007 - 18:05||Unknown User|
|csc_WillieSoon_30072007.pdf||manage||816.1 K||08 Dec 2007 - 18:07||Unknown User|